Blog

What Shall I Make?

I’ve been searching for something to use as a subject to both draw and paint. So, I thought, why not use some of the ridiculous stuff that's already here? In fact, thinking long-term, I can make runs to thrift stores to look for even more ridiculous stuff, that is, if I start to run out of ridiculous stuff that I already own. 

 

I'm starting off with this old kitchen timer that I picked up somewhere, and a chicken that I use to pose with my little people.

 

 

After much maneuvering in front of the camera, I settled on this scene.

 

This is the start of a drawing, which I'll finish and then try painting in both silk paint and oils.

 


Practice, practice, practice

Building things, like my relief sculptures, is both fun and easy for me.

 

But sometimes it’s good to do things that aren’t easy. One of the many things that isn’t easy for me is drawing. So I practice it most mornings.

 

Here is one of my drawings:

And another, drawn from a photo in a magazine:

 

 

I’ve recently started taking a pencil drawing course*. It’s helping me with value—which is artist-speak for light and dark. Artists use value to give drawings and paintings a feel of depth.

 

Here is what I’ve drawn for the class so far:

 

 

 

I’ll keep at it and continue to get better. But I’ll probably never love it as much as I love building things.

 

 

*The class is taught by Nolan Clark. He also teaches a reasonably priced how-to class about selling art, which I absolutely loved.